For a contrarian view of corporate healthcare under PeaceHealth and St. Joseph Medical Center, and Whatcom Alliance for Health Advancement, Northwest Life Passages and others, see the following:
• “Waking Up Dying: Caregiving When There Is No Tomorrow” available at Village Books in Bellingham, Wash., and Amazon in print or kindle versions, or from the author’s website.
• Waking Up Dying blog at robertaduke.com, online.
• Whatcom Watch column Whatcom: Chronic & Acute, monthly in print and online.
Useful books about national healthcare reform and patient/caregiver support include:
• “You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes,” by Trisha Torrey (a book I continually reference) updated 2014, from diagKNOWsis Media.
• “The Patient Advocate’s Handbook, 300 Questions And Answers To Help You Care For Your Loved One,” by James Thomas Williams, 2010, from Panglossian Press (excellent guide in talking to healthcare professionals).
• “The Not So Patient Advocate, How to Get the Health Care You Need Without Fear or Frustration,” by Ellen Menard, 2009, from Barndolf & Company. (The title says it all.)
For more action-oriented healthcare reform books, see the Resources page of my Wake Up Dying blog, https://robertaduke.com/resources/.